Monday, November 11, 2013

Cream of Junk Soup

I saw this pin on Pinterest a while ago and had it tucked away to use eventually with good intentions as with everything on Pinterest.  Obviously you liked the idea because you pinned it so of course you have some intention of it coming to fruition.  I mean of course I will get around to perfectly landscaping my backyard one day... not.  But this, this I could do.

Since doing our real food challenge not so long ago I've wanted to cut out more and more processed stuff where I could and because of this we lost some favorite recipes.  One being a chicken casserole from college days.  All my Mt. Vernon Boone friends know which one I'm talking about! Recently we were in the mood for it and probably haven't eaten it in almost a year.  I remembered that I had this pin so I decided to check it out.  I got a little lost in her directions with half as much of this but 8 times as much liquid as that talk so Adam helped me figure it out because he's smart like that.

Also in reading the reviews some people were like, Yeah this is awesome! and some people were all like, yeah this is blah and disgusting... so I googled another recipe to compare.  I found this one but thought it was a little complicated, as in it had a lot of ingredients I didn't have so I decided to combine the two.  Let me just say that I am NOT an adventurous cook and always measure things out but I guess I was feeling brave. So here is what I came up with.

2 T butter
2T flour
1/2 c of chicken broth
1/2 c of milk
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Paprika
Salt & Pepper

You melt the butter on medium heat in a saucepan and then add the flour.  What you're doing here is making a roux so you stir this constantly for about 1 minute.  Then you whisk in the broth and milk.  As she suggests you pour the liquid in slowly and whisk constantly so that it doesn't get all clumpy.  Once all the liquid is added cook and stir for another 3 minutes.  Then I just sprinkled a little of the onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper in, stirred it and viola!  That recipe is equivalent to "1 can." oh and also don't be alarmed it will come out more runny than the canned stuff but it doesn't effect your recipe, or so I've found this far and I have made it a couple of times in different dishes now!

I was pretty nervous how it was going to taste when the casserole came out but it was SO GOOD! better even if I do say so myself :)  I was shocked honestly at how easy this was, it takes 5 mintues literally.  Try it!

Also if you're interested in the chicken casserole recipe here it is:

Denise's Chicken Casserole (because it will always be Denise's!!)
4-6 chicken breasts
8 oz. sour cream
Cream of chicken soup
1 sleeve ritz crackers
Butter

Crush 1 sleeve of ritz crackers and combine with a few tablespoons of melted butter and set aside.  Combine cooked shredded chicken, sour cream, and soup in a baking dish then top with crushed ritz crackers.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I have not made that casserole in ages and now I'm craving it! I'm going to try it with your recipe sub soon. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna put this recipe on my "to try" list. We don't get Cream of Chicken soup here but we're like yall-trying to cut out processed foods as we can, so this looks like it'll be a good substitute. :)

    ReplyDelete

I so love your comments :)