Thursday, September 26, 2013

Curse you wallpaper!

I kind of can't believe a month has gone by since I last posted.  For me, when things get busy the blog is the first thing to go.  I hate that it happens and I think about my poor blog when I neglect it but that is just the way it is for me.  I don't think I'm destined to be a "big" blogger about home renovations, or fashion, or mommy stuff, as cool as that would be and as much as I would love making money from my blog (who wouldn't) I just don't think it's in the cards for me.  This is just a fun place for me to share what is going on in our lives and I love so much that I am able to keep up with friends literally all across the world through theirs as well.  I think it is a beautiful gift to be connected through blogging and I'm thankful that technology can offer that in a positive way these days.  

On September 1st Adam left for 10 days to go to Romania.  During that time I got to spend a couple of days with 4 kids whose parents were with Adam.  Then I went to Mooresville for a long weekend and made a secret trip to Ikea and surprised Adam with the Expedit bookshelf and desk.  It was lots of fun sneaking around and a beast to build.  It is sitting in this room that I will get to in a minute.  When he got back we had 2 days and then we left to go to Disney World, Universal Studios, and then a 5 night cruise with Adam's family for his parents 30th anniversary trip. This may sound a little familiar because last year we celebrated my parents 40th at Disney in November.  It was fun to have back to back years of anniversaries and we're so thankful for generous parents who took us along to celebrate. 

Random side note: Does anyone else wish that all your pictures from your phone, camera, or wherever could just magically end up in a folder on your computer without you having to do anything?  I mean surely someone can think of that! c'mon people!  Adam and I both take a lot of pictures with our phones so it is just a pain to get them both downloaded on to the computer and folderized.  It just seems so... archaic for our day in age.  First world problems I know.  Although, does the cloud do this to an extent?  Might need to look into that...
Moral of the story I'll post about those when my pictures magically appear and folderize themselves ;) Until then, something that I do have pictures for that I've wanted to talk about for a while.

The paintsprayer experience! 

Let's start with what this room looked liked and what it took to get it ready to be painted:

Purty right? No no no no.  NO.  Our method for this room was throw a bunch o' junk in there and close the door and maybe we'll get to it in a year or so.  Everyone needs a junk room right?  Well here's the problem with that plan, with 4 bedrooms we have our room, a guest room, what will be Silas' room, and the office.  There was/is also a lot of junk in Silas' room that needed to go in the office.  Also Adam was wanting to work from home 1 morning a week and he needed a place to do this.  So we decided that in order to get our home organized as well as to clean out Silas' room then we would need to tackle this room.  I was shaking in my yoga pants when it came to tackling more wallpaper after finishing the foyer nightmare not too long before this.  It just seemed so daunting.  CURSE YOU WALLPAPER.  I don't care how trendy it may be come I will never ever ever ever put it in my house because guess what? one day it won't be trendy again and it will be a pain in the backside AGAIN.

Boy did I get lucky with this one though.  It was a vinyl wallpaper with paper backing.  Meaning the vinyl layer peeled right off.  Underneath was paper that when you wet it would scrape off easily.  Woo Hoo!  Halleluyer.
My method was to wet it down with a sponge and then use the wallpaper scraper to scrap it off.  It came off in strips which I thought looked like lasagna noodles, which made me happy because...
I heart Carbs Women's Light T-Shirt

I started out using a fabric softener/water mix but found that straight up water was best for really soaking it.  There was still a layer of glue underneath that I had to wash off but all in all it was a heck of a lot better than the foyer which was well, miserable.  I did this all the way around the room and was left with bare walls!  I also took down the chair railing that was underneath the wallpaper.  It was hanging off in some places and it just didn't fit with this room or my vision so I ripped it off.


I had to sand and patch all around the room where the chair rail had been.
The pink is the spackle that is drying.  It turns white when it is dry and that is how you know it is ready to paint which is a good place to leave off for now I think.  

I'll be back with the paint spraying drama soon!  Thanks for reading :)

5 comments:

  1. I am seriously impressed with your wall paper tackling skills- get it girl! Can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad this came down easier. Oh what a pain! I'm so impressed with you tackling these projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girl - you know I hate me some wall paper too. So glad this stuff came down easier. And what a cliffhanger! I want to know/see what else happened! Can't wait for the next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. UGHH wall paper! The room looks so good now! I always say I'm impressed with your DIY skills. And I think we need to buy that shirt because you know I love me some carbs too! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I so love your comments :)