Monday, December 3, 2012

Happy Belated Birthday ;)

My hubs turned 28 on the 28th.  Oh my gosh typing that I just realized it was his golden birthday! Yikes and we a didn't even do anything specific to celebrate the golden goodness.  Sorry love!  Hopefully you still enjoyed it :)

We celebrated over thanksgiving when we were with his family so he actually got a week long birthday celebration.  He decided he would rather celebrate with pizza and the georgia game on saturday rather than going out to eat and missing the game.  or dare I say, watching it recorded.. gasp! 
Tucker was really into it...

That morning I got up and started making his birthday cake.  We have a thing in his family ever since I can remember.  They do store-bought birthday cakes.  Not hating on it if that is your thing too but it is not my thing and not how my mama raised me!  I just don't do store-bought cakes.  I don't like how they taste. “I would not like them here or there. I would not like them anywhere." They always tease me at every birthday because I won't eat anyone's cake,  it's a family joke and I don't mind, I am a-ok standing my ground :)

They did offer to get one from a fancy bakery in town so I would eat it but I didn't want them to have to do that because I am.. well... a snob...
Bakery cakes are generally the exception.  I'm just not a huge cake-lover overall which adds to the problem.  Well now that we have covered my official cake preferences in more detail than I'm sure you cared to know on we go...

The night before I googled chocolate birthday cake by pioneer woman, because let's face it everything she does, she does well.  And let's also face it my man likes chocolate like a hormonal woman (love you honey winkwink).  Her Big Chocolate Birthday Cake got great reviews.  I included it at the bottom or else you can just click the link if you're interested.  I don't like to cook really but I generally enjoy baking.  And I am pretty stinkin proud of how it turned out.
Let's take a closer look at the layers.  count them 1-2-3-4. yes 4 layers!

It definitely serves more than 12-14 because it is super rich, but oh so delicious!

We're only missing Courtney, my sis in law!  Here is a pic of us though while the boys were all running the Turkey Trot 2 days before.
On his actual birthday he had to work but in the morning I made him homemade cinnamon rolls and he got one of his birthday presents, some Larry's Beans coffee.  He also got a new shirt.  We had a lunch meeting at church that I took his birthday cake to and then we had dinner at outback.  His other present was a bit delayed.  Let's just say I may have sent it to our old address, oopsie.  stupid amazon 1 click buying.  Thankfully my friend Stephanie saved my tail.  She went and got it from our old house and mailed it to us.  Thanks again!  He got a fancy pants coffee maker, complete with a fancy glass lid and super duper spectacular filters that are supposed to make your coffee taste delicious or something..
All that to say I am so thankful for this man who loves me and serves me so well.  He spoils me rotten, my mom even picks on me about how spoiled I am :) but it is all because he loves me so much and I am so grateful God gave him to me and that he is mine all mine.  I love you so very much and I hope you felt a little extra loved this birthday my dear.   Hoping next birthday includes a little boy in some way shape or form!



 Pioneer Woman's Big Chocolate Birthday Cake


Picture of Big Chocolate Birthday Cake Recipe 
 
Total Time:1 hr 45 min Prep 20 min Yield 12 to 14 servings
 
 
Ingredients

Cake:

  • 4 sticks butter, plus more for greasing
  • 8 heaping tablespoons cocoa, plus more for dusting
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 4 whole eggs, beaten

Frosting:

  • 3 cups heavy cream
  • 24 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into pieces
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions

For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Heavily grease and dust with cocoa four 9-inch round cake pans.
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt.
In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the cocoa. Stir together. Add the boiling water, allow the mixture to boil for 30 seconds and then turn off the heat. Pour over the flour mixture and stir lightly to cool.
Combine the buttermilk, baking soda, vanilla and beaten eggs. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the butter/chocolate mixture.
Divide the batter among the prepared cake pans and bake for 20 minutes.
Cool completely before icing. Refrigerate the layers after cooling for best results.
For the frosting: Heat the cream until very hot, and then pour over the chocolate pieces. Stir to completely melt, and then pour into the bowl of an electric mixer. Refrigerate to cool.
Once completely cooled, add the vanilla and beat with an electric mixer until light and airy.
Frost the cake in between each layer, on the top and around the sides.

1 comment:

  1. the cake looks delicious! and I'm sure Chad is looking forward to the day when he can try a cup of coffee from Adam's fancy-pants coffee contraption :) miss y'all!

    ReplyDelete

I so love your comments :)