Monday, October 15, 2012

Dear Summit Church

this was the best way I knew how to express what our church has meant to us.  so through a letter, here is how the Lord used it to mold us and change our lives.  sort of some closure to this season of our lives as we eagerly enter the next phase "expecting great things from God as we attempt great things for God" (quoted from JD, our pastor).  looking forward to coming back to visit!


Yesterday was our last time to be in corporate worship with you all as members of the Summit Church.  Last week we said our goodbyes to church on Saturday nights which we will desperately miss!  We wanted to end this week at Brier Creek on Sunday morning, where it all began for us.  My husband has been a member for 5 years and I for 3 1/2.  He goes back to when we were meeting at Riverside High-school.  In between then he has served, interned, worked part time for Summit, and then transitioned to a temporary job in the "secular" world.  I have served alongside him as well and found my place in making this my church home.  We have always said that the design of Summit is to train you up and send you out (which JD not so coincidentally I'm sure, talked about in his sermon yesterday!).  It is so difficult because we love it so much that of course we don't want to leave!  But now we get to take what we have soaked in these last few years and pour it out into our new church home just 1 state away where my husband will be the pastor of discipleship and missions.  How do we even begin to explain how much this church has shaped us, changed us, and grown us in understanding the gospel more fully in every aspect of our lives.  It is because of your faithfulness to God's call in reaching the five areas of need we have taken on as a church (homeless, orphan, prisoner, unwed mother, and high-school dropout) that we are adopting our first child.  How do we say thank you for this?  You have not only changed our lives in this way but you will have changed a little boys life in Africa for eternity. 

As I was standing there yesterday listening to scripture being read by different brothers and sisters I found it so appropriate that this was the last verse I heard read over you. 

I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:3-6

This is my prayer.  This is your promise.  God is moving among you Summit church, I think he has shown that!  How timely that JD would begin a series challenging you all to believe God for great things and go All-In.  Thank you for allowing us to partner with you.  Thank you for teaching us about community and what doing life with people looks like.  Thank you for being faithful to follow the leaders of this church as they discern God's plan and direction.  We feel privileged and humbled that the Lord has allowed us to be here these past few years and we are grateful.  I am confident that He will be faithful to complete the good work he has began in you.
  

2 comments:

  1. I love and appreciate and admire both of you more than you'll ever know. Thank you for being one of those crucial couples that set off the chain of events in our adoption journey. The Summit will miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you guys and are very proud of you! We'll miss you, but are grateful God is using you to carry the gospel into your new community.

    ReplyDelete

I so love your comments :)