Friday, July 6, 2012

Kitchen Reveal part 3

Sorry I'm just getting to the next post in the kitchen reveal process.  But here goes!

This one is about the countertops.  I have to say the countertop issue is what held me up from doing our kitchen for 2+ years.  It just wasn't feasible for us to replace our counters and they were a nasty tan color as I had mentioned.  I knew I wanted white cabinets for our tiny kitchen to lighten it up, so imagine painting the cabinets a pretty crisp clean white with an off white/tan color stained counter, not pretty huh?  You can kind of get an idea here, although it doesn't do it justice.
I did some research and through Pinterest (oh how I love thee let me count the ways...) I found a blog that had painted their counters.  I don't remember what kind of paint she used but after seeing that it spurred me to do some research.  I found Rustoleum had a countertop paint.  So I took the dive.  The hubby was a little concerned because of the whatifitdoesn'tworkandweruinourcounters argument,  which I could appreciate but I assured him I did my research crossed my fingers and toes that it would work and it did, sort of...

I ordered my sample swatches from the website and decided on Light Ash.  The website recommends that to prepare you clean the counters very well and then lightly sand them.
I cleaned them with an all purpose cleaner and then I used a magic eraser over them to get off any tough stains, then used sand paper to rough them up a little bit.  
I taped off the areas I didn't want to get paint on because this stuff can be nasty.  It starts to dry quickly so you don't have much time to work with it once it is on the counter.  Also, WEAR GLOVES!  I got some of it on the tips of my fingers and it definitely peeled my skin off,  yeah probably not the best decision I ever made but ah well.
This is a better view of the contrast between the white cabinet and tan counter.  Honestly it doesn't look nearly as bad in this picture.  In person it made the clean white pearly goodness of the cabinets look dingy, no bueno.

I used a brush as well as a foam roller to paint it so I would get a nice smooth finish.  Make sure you do this during a time when you can open windows because it is SMELLY stuff.  Like worse than primer smelly, I did 2 coats.  Also when you finish it has to sit for 3 days before you can put anything on the counters.  I would give it longer than that honestly.  Here she is!  
I realized I didn't take nearly as many after pics, oopsie! You can kind of see them in this pic if you enlarge it.  Are they as good as granite or butcher block? no way.  Are they much better? absolutely.

So back to the sort of part... not too long after having the counters painted I left a pot on it that was wet on the bottom and for whatever reason it peeled up some of the paint - Paint's fault.  Then because Adam's coffee pot had previously stained the counter, kind of like a burned stain, I decided that we should put something under it this time to protect it. So we put a plastic placemat underneath it.  Well it melted some under the coffee pot and made a big stain - Our fault.  Yeah again not the best decision ever but in hindsight but it seemed smart at the time.  So I am touching up those spots and considering sealing it with a poly, we'll see.  I don't know if it had to do with the fact that it was still so freshly painted, because they do say be gentle with it for the next few weeks or what happened, but I'm hoping after the touch up it will hold up better.  Time will tell!

I do have to say that overall I was very impressed with how well it turned out.  It looks really good and it hardens up nicely.  People that have come over can't believe it is paint because it definitely doesn't look like it.  If I had it to do all over again I would strongly consider using rustoleum's stone effects instead to give it more of a "granite" type look. 

So that's the low down about painting your counters,  all the information and more that you could have possibly wanted I'm sure.  Congrats if you made it through that!  Hope that helps!  I would be happy to answer any questions!

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! Thanks for posting! We have fake (linoleum) butcher block countertops that I hate and want to replace! We may have to give this a try...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! We really want to do something for our counters but certainly cannot afford new ones. I might just have to try this :)

    Love blogging/pinterest!!

    ReplyDelete

I so love your comments :)