Saturday, January 7, 2012

homemade gift idea

I saw this on the mother load of all inspirational websites that we are all madly, head over heels in love with, oh you know what I'm talking about.  If you don't, then shame on you where have you been?!

My grandma likes teacups and tea things and tiny tea sets, you get the idea.  So when I saw this I knew I had to make one for her to go with the rest of the stuff I was getting her. So off to goodwill I go.

I got a teacup and saucer and I also picked up some candle wicks at Michaels for like 2 bucks I think.  And I already had a candle.  So first I glued the teacup to the saucer using my fancy super sticky E-6000 glue which I already had. 

Then as you can see I wrapped the wick around a popsicle stick so it would remain upright and in the middle for when I poured the wax in. 
 I also bought a glass at goodwill for like 80 cents so i didn't ruin one of ours.  Then I just shaved off some candle and filled the glass.  This part was MESSaaaaayyy.  One think I learned.  Over estimate how much was you'll need.  I filled the glass up maybe 3/4 full of chunks of wax and it when it melted down it barely filled that little teacup up.  Also break big chunks into smaller pieces so it will melt faster. 
Then I put the glass in a pot and turned it on to boil.  I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous during this part.  I was thinking the whole time, have I forgotten some law of physics or chemistry and this glass is going to blow up in my face at any second.  I may have thrown on a pair of sunglasses just till it got a good boil going for a while and I felt pretty comfortable that all was well.  Blame that on working for an eye dr. I guess that made me want to protect my eyes.  But y'all I have seen stuff like metal and glass scrapped out of people's corneas and its not pretty!
 After it was all melted I just poured it carefully into the teacup and let it harden.  And voila great gift for grandma!  All under $5 I might add, bam

5 comments:

  1. I like this...yours turned out really well! What is this "mother load of all inspirational websites"?? I may know of it, but in case I don't I gotta catch up here. :)
    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute, Ashley! Glad to see your putting that website to good use ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute idea!! Love it. (I would have been freaked out about the glass exploding too - I had an experience with our glass tea pitcher exploding while I was pouring hot teat in it from the stove... I don't make tea that much anymore ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I love seeing completed pinterest projects. We'll have to excuse my sister in law's question this time; she does live in a far away land now! ;-) [love you erin!]

    ReplyDelete

I so love your comments :)