Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sifting

There is much to say about what we are experiencing right now.  The best way to say it is something else.  We have basically opened our lives up through this blog documenting our journey through marriage and now through adoption.  I don't think it is fair or right to paint a fake picture that everything is great and grand all the time when sometimes you have to go through hard stuff in life.  The vast majority of the time we are blessed because everything is that way, but life is not without trials.  So here we are.  

I don't want to be misunderstood so let me start by saying that we are extremely blessed and I try not to forget that for one second.  I could go on and on about the blessings Christ as poured out in our lives. Most of all the grace and mercy that has been given to us by our Heavenly Father through the death of his son Jesus that gave us salvation.  We've got it pretty good all things considered, but sometimes the Holy Spirit allows us to be sifted.  I am going through Beth Moore's study on Believing God.  She talks about how God will never give Satan permission to sift us like wheat if we don't have anything that needs sifting.  And let me tell you I know I got some stuff that needs siftin, and some stuff I didn't know! 

Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers. Luke 22:31-32

Anyone who has been called to adoption can probably tell you that it is a wonderful journey where you see the Lord's hand so clearly but they might also tell you that it is war.  War between you and the enemy.  You see adoption is such a beautiful picture of Christ and what he has done for us.  He has adopted us as sons and daughters into his kingdom, that we might become heirs with Christ.  As for Satan, well he HATES this.  Anything that is good and a picture of God's love for us he wants to destroy.  But God is bigger, and he WILL care for his orphans, all while teaching us along the way.  

Other adoptive families could probably tell you of stories where things have happened like: surprise medical bills, lost jobs, broken appliances, car trouble, etc.  Anything he can throw in the way that might deter you from your calling.  

You might have noticed that my posting has been a little less frequent lately, without much info about where we are in the process.  The truth is the week we were about to schedule our homestudy which is our next big step, we found out that Adam's job at our church was ending.  The jist of it is, there is some re-structuring going on and his position is no longer necessary, just a casualty of the change.  

The Lord has been teaching us me much during this time and sifting things from me that need to go.  I know, I know, I know all of this is for his plan and it is being perfectly orchestrated around me to put our Silas in our family at the right time, and to get us where he wants us to be that will serve him well.  Uncertainty is just hard, Lord I believe, help my unbelief

Thanks for following along, supporting us, and hopefully we'll have good news to share soon!
           

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Ash! I love you and will be praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A war...I could not have said it better. I have been at war this week and battling with prayer. My conclusion is the same as yours...Satan does not like what God is accomplishing through our family. Thanks for being transparent. I will pray tonight for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, thank you for this post. Your transparency and tender heart is evident of your depth in your walk with the Lord. Keep pressing into Him and the ups and downs will all point to His purpose and His Glory. Eph 3:20

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm praying for your family, Ashley, and praising God that He has already worked this out for His glory and your good (even though it's not apparent how yet). Hang in there, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you friend! Excited to see what God does next and through this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am yelling "Move that mountain!" :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for being so honest! praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been praying for you two! I was at church tonight and after Tom Blackaby spoke he opened up for questions, I asked what one can do when it seems that the more their children live to serve the Lord the more Satan attacks their children. He said one of two things 1 pray that the adversity does not come and 2 pray that your child knows how to handle the adversity through prayer and wearing the armor of God. I guess I fell short in praying that the adversity did not come but I will not fall short in praying for you to handle the adversity. I will be praying that you two continue to lift each other up in prayer and encourage each other. Know you are both loved as well is SIlas. We will pray without ceasing.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ashley- I was doing some "blog catch-up" tonight, which included you :) Reading this post pulled on a heart string for me... as you know, we have been through many casualties of change! I can definitely attest to the struggle of the uncertain and wanted you to know I am holding you close to my heart during this time. Stay strong my dear! PS- I miss you!

    ReplyDelete

I so love your comments :)