Thursday, September 9, 2010

Some exciting news!

Remember this post?

Well, Adam and I feel the Lord is leading us to start the process of adoption! So far we have completed the pre-application and were approved for Ukraine, Bulgaria, and Ethiopia. Mostly because of the alarming statistics and sheer volume of orphans (around 4.8 million) we are moving forward with Ethiopia.

I know there are many many questions like: why your first child?, how much does it cost?, why Ethiopia?, boy or girl? and the biggest of all that some are dying to ask, why don't you just have your "own" kids? Boy do I hate that word "own." That's another post for another day, another explanation. All of these questions will be answered, but not in one post. Do you know how long it would be if I did, I would get bored writing it and you would get bored reading it, so I'll spare you. That's why I invite you to follow along with us as we begin our journey!

If you know anything about adoption you know that it is EXPENSIVE! Most people our age and stage in life don't have an extra twenty-five to thirty grand layin' around, and in case you're wondering neither do we, so we are going to be raising money along the way. One way that you can GET.INVOLVED.RIGHT.NOW. is to purchase a puzzle piece. This is a great idea for adoptions and was given to me by this couple from our church that are adopting as well. You'll see the puzzle picture and paypal button to the side where you can give.

Here is how it works. Our goal is to have 500 pieces purchased. Which would be a HUGE step toward starting. So you buy a puzzle piece for $10 (wanna buy more than one? that's cool too). We will write your name or family name on the back of the puzzle piece. Once it is completed we will hang it in one of the clear picture frames so you can see the front and back. It will hang in our child's room as a reminder of all the people that helped to bring him/her home. Plus it will give us a lasting record of who helped make this possible.

I HIGHLY recommend Russell Moore's book Adopted for Life. more on that later.... but he talks about as believers we are all called to look after the orphans and widows in their distress... james 1:27, whether that is through adopting a child or helping someone adopt a child through prayer or giving.

So get ready people, here we go!

10 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you two and so proud to see you putting the Lord's words fully into the plan for your life. If I am honest I am also really excited about my upcoming nana, grandma, or whatever days.

    Much love, unceasing prayers, and all the support I can give.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! That's so great. I'm excited for you guys and can't wait to hear more about this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam & Ashely that is amazing. The Janke's will most definitely be praying and purchasing some puzzle pieces! Good luck and I can't wait to read about the whole process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie and I are very excited about this announcement! We will be praying for you guys. Praise God for the work he is doing to give his adopted children a heart for the fatherless.

    -Curt

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so excited and happy for you! One of my co-worker's daughter and son-in-law just adopted from Ethiopia and I'm sure they'd be willing to meet with you and Adam about the process if you want. Just let me know and I'll see what I can do! Keep us updated on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashely-

    Su Soutter here. I just sent you an email about coupon class giveaway and thought I'd check in on your blog. . .wow!! I am thrilled for you. Did you know we too are adopting from Ethiopia. . in the process right now. . actually just got pics of our 6 year old boy 2 days ago.
    WOW!! Here is the link to our adoption blog:

    http://onlygodcouldwritethisstory.blogspot.com/

    so more reason to coupon, eh? So you have more money to stick in that adoption fund.

    I am off to donate to your puzzle pieces. . you can tell your little one that this family gave because they adopted a kiddo from Ethiopia just like we did you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading Adopted for Life right now! So excited you are moving forward with this and can't wait to see what the future holds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome!! The puzzle idea is really neat. Lord willing, we can do the same one day as well. Keep us updated :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are so stinkin' excited for y'all!!! Adoptions are such a beautiful picture of God's love for his children. We're looking forward to watching him unfold y'all's story.

    Also, a couple in our sunday school class announced their decision today to adopt. I told them about your puzzle piece fundraising idea and got their email address to send them to your blog site. So hopefully they'll check it out and be getting some helpful ideas!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! I'm so excited yall are officially applying now. It was so interesting to learn about everything yall shared with us the other night. I think that is so awesome. Can't wait to see how the whole process goes. Praying for yall!

    ReplyDelete

I so love your comments :)