Saturday, January 2, 2010

One year anniversary part 2

I'm doing a series of posts leading up to our anniversary, for this one I wanted to tell you THE story of us and how we began. I'll try to keep it short since I know that no one probably wants to read every detail!

Adam and I grew up together I guess you could say. He moved to our hometown when he was in the 7th grade, and as quoted by his parents they had "ruined his life!" Little did he know that this was all part of God's plan. His family started coming to our church where we met.

Our first encounter was not what you would call "love at first sight." It was youth Sunday and Adam was teaching my sixth grade class for the day. Let's just say that the day ended with the assumption that Ashley was a brat and Adam was bossy. Which was probably fairly accurate at that point in time!

Fast forward to when I was in the 8th grade. Adam began "noticing" me I guess you could say. I was not, however interested in him in that way. We hung out with the same group of people all the time, and our friendship grew.

By the time I was 15, it was not secret that Adam was crazy about me at this point, I was definitely more interested than I was in the past but not sure if I was at the point of dating. I knew that something needed to change and I could not keep leading Adam on. His mom even told him to move on! We still laugh about that today and are glad that he didn't! I began praying that God would either change my heart or his to let us know what to do. Well he did and we began dating not long after that. I knew somehow, someway that Adam was the one for me even at 15, sounds crazy I know but I told remember telling my best friend Beth that I thought I would marry him one day.

We dated all the way until my senior year when we split up the summer before. I can't really explain what all happened, except looking back now there were a lot of things that needed to happen and change in each of us individually before we could come back together. Adam was never able to get plugged into college, I needed to decide for myself where I wanted to go to school and not to just follow Adam, etc. It makes me think about all the things that happened during this short time to put us where we are today. Just a reminder of the Lord's sovereignty over our lives.

By the very end of my senior year we got back together and stayed together after that. We got to spend 2 years together at Appalachian before Adam graduated. We knew we wanted to get married so started my first semester at ASU I had a plan set up to graduate early. Our plan was after we got married to move somewhere for Adam to go to law school. The Lord said, "Not so fast, I have a different plan for you!" During his senior year Adam felt called into the ministry and began seminary after he graduated instead.

November of 2007, Adam proposed on the anniversary of our first date 5 years before!

January 3, 2009, We were married and consecrated to each other for the rest of our days

5 comments:

  1. Sweet story! Hope you're enjoying your weekend! Happy Anniversary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww- I enjoyed reading the story- Hope y'all had a great anniversary trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww what a sweet love story!! Hope your anniversary trip was great. We miss you guys & need to hang out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked reading that, and the details are what makes us girls, right? :)

    -EB

    ReplyDelete

I so love your comments :)